Your insurance follows your vehicle, wherever it goes. So if you lend your car to a friend, co-worker or visiting relative, you're lending your insurance along with it.  Your policy will defend your vehicle should any claims arise, so it's important that whoever is borrowing the car will act responsibly. 

Your PEMCO agent would be happy to advise you on protecting your car for less common situations, such as when the person borrowing the vehicle will use it for an extended time. ​​

Yes, however, there are key differences from regular coverage.

Your policy will cover you for the occasional use of automobiles you rent in the U.S. and Canada, depending on the coverages you’ve purchased. It also covers certain expenses the rental car company may charge such as administrative fees, diminished value and loss of use.* Vehicles other than private passenger cars may receive only some of the coverages. 

If you rent automobiles on a regular basis and want to know how to get the best protection with your policy, please contact our Customer Service Department to discuss more coverage options.​

*Coverage of certain expenses rental car companies may charge is currently available to Washington State policyholders only.​

No, but you can add a rideshare endorsement for specific vehicles on your PEMCO policy. It protects you three ways when you’re driving your car for a company like Uber or Lyft:

  • Plugs gaps. PEMCO’s rideshare endorsement protects you from the moment you turn on the app and helps cover gaps in the rideshare company’s insurance.
  • Reduces your deductible. Rideshare companies typically have high deductibles. With the endorsement, your regular PEMCO deductible applies. 
  • Adds extra protection. When the rideshare company’s coverage is primary, your PEMCO rideshare endorsement provides additional protection for listed coverages.​​
Move your car to the side of the road, if possible. You'll want to take photos of the scene and get details from the other party such as their name, license plate number and insurance policy information. Next, report the accident to police. Call PEMCO or click here to file a claim. Visit our claims page​ for more information.​​
Yes, if you have a current PEMCO Auto policy and we insure all other vehicles you own. If you're adding another vehicle to the policy, you'll need to let us know within 30 days. If your new vehicle is replacing your current one, you'll just need to let us know within 60 days.​
It's complicated. Please contact us​ to determine how PEMCO may be able to help.​
Yes, double the defense deserves a discount. You receive a discount on both your home and auto policies if you insure both with PEMCO. There may be additional discounts available if you have a PEMCO Umbrella policy or insure your boat or rental property with us.
Sign in to your online account, where you can view and print your ID card. You can also use the Go PEMCO app (available for Android​ and iPhone). With the app, you can show your electronic ID card as proof of insurance in both Washington and Oregon (as well as most other states).​​​​​

We want the claims process to be simple and easy. Call us at 1-800-467-3626 or click here to report a claim.

Visit the Claims page​ to learn about your options for vehicle repair.​

Contact us to enroll. All you need is your smartphone, a PEMCO online account and the Go PEMCO app. Just a few taps get you set up for monitoring, then your safe-driving habits do the rest to help you save! Learn more.

​If you're over age 55 and take an approved defensive driving course, let us know. Approved courses for Washington​
If your car is a "total loss," then the cost to repair your vehicle exceeds its market value. Our Total Loss team will make sure your claim is settled quickly and fairly. If you want to keep your vehicle, we'll explain the "retained salvage" process for you to keep the damaged car. Learn more about total loss claims​.​

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) covers reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses related to a covered claim, and it has no deductible. It also pays for loss of income and essential services, such as house cleaning or dog walking, that you're unable to do as a result of the injury. 

Even if you have  medical insurance, your plan may not give you enough coverage. 

PIP is "no-fault" coverage, meaning it's available whether you caused the accident or not. It's in addition to any liability coverage that might be available from the driver who caused the accident. PIP also covers all the occupants of the vehicle, as well as pedestrians and bicyclists hit by the vehicle. ​

Add young drivers to your policy as soon as they have a driving permit – PEMCO doesn't charge for insuring drivers who have a learner's permit. Once the driver has a license, let us know.

If your driver has a GPA of 3.0 and is a full-time student under age 25, you can save with the Good Student Discount. Just send your most recent report card or transcript and your policy number to us at or P.O. Box 778, Seattle, WA 98111-0778. Once the discount has been applied, you don't need to send further report cards.

​If your student is living 75+ miles from home and is without a car, they qualify for PEMCO's Distant Student Discount. This keeps them insured under your policy, but at a reduced rate. ​

Despite mandatory insurance laws in most states, about one in eight drivers or 14% across the United States may be driving uninsured, according to a study from the Insurance Research Council.

Underinsured Motorist provides coverage to you and your passengers for bodily injury and property damage caused by an uninsured motorist (a person who does not have insurance) or underinsured motorist (a person who does not have enough coverage to compensate you for your damages).

Like many insurance companies, PEMCO does not accept vehicles with branded titles. Besides having more severe losses compared with other cars, they have safety and mechanical concerns that can impact the well-being of everyone on the road. Branded titles identify vehicles as "totaled" in addition to other notations including "salvage," "junk," "dismantled," "flood," "fire" and "hail."

For vehicles with a "Rebuilt" or "Reconstructed" title, we can't offer physical damage coverage (collision, comprehensive, towing and rental reimbursement).