All of us look forward to a safer, more secure 2021. And a good place to start is with your PEMCO protection. If you haven't checked lately, resolve to:
1. Update your pemco.com self-service account with any changes over the past year. (And if you haven't yet set up your account, it takes just minutes at pemco.com/Members. With a self-service account, you can change coverages, pay your bill, add drivers or cars and much more online. You also can set up paperless delivery of your billing and policy forms.)
2. Update (or create) a video inventory of your belongings. If your home is burglarized or damaged in a fire, a video inventory gives you a head start on reclaiming or replacing your possessions. Systematically film room-by-room, starting at the doorway and panning around the space. Zoom in on individual items as you describe each, and capture details like makers' names or marks on the bottom of art pieces and serial numbers on electronics. Don't forget to open every drawer and closet. Store a copy of your video inventory in the cloud or on a USB drive kept somewhere other than your home.
3. Check that you're carrying your current PEMCO ID card in your glove compartment. Or, to ensure it's with you all the time, access it on your smartphone via your pemco.com account.
4. Tell us about remodeling that may affect your home's value. If you're replacing "like with like" (for example, worn laminate countertops with new laminate countertops), your policy automatically keeps up. However, if you upgrade (switching from laminate to granite), you'll want to share the change with us. Also let us know about new additions like decks or fences.
5. Protect high-value items. Like virtually all homeowners and renter policies sold in the United States, your PEMCO policy has maximum combined and individual limits for certain types of high-value belongings like jewelry and firearms. For example, our policies cap jewelry coverage at a combined value of $5,000 with a maximum of $2,500 per item. If that's no longer enough, call 1-800-GO-PEMCO or log in to your pemco.com account to protect your valuables with per-item coverage (with no deductible).
6. Make sure you're getting all the discounts you can. Life changes, and that means you may qualify for discounts that didn't apply when you took out your PEMCO policy. For example, are you now driving fewer miles per year than you used to? Have you added a protective device in your home like a security alarm or monitored water or gas sensors? Call us. We may be able to cut your bill!