The word “fair” conjures up childhood memories of thrilling rides, petting zoos and the delicious food carnival fare. This past weekend, we didn’t have to reminisce about that fair, we were there! The WALLY team journeyed to Walla Walla, Washington, and helped the local community celebrate the 149th year of the fair.
Holy Cow! The Walla Walla Fair celebrated its 149 year this past weekend.
Amidst the games, rides and food, attendees were privy to the mouthwatering smells from the Dutch oven competition, the adorable kids’ tractor pull and the sweet serenade of live music beside the WALLY van.
Needless to say, we thoroughly enjoyed the fair and have some tips to share so you can enjoy the fair as much as we did!
Here are the top tips for maximizing family fun from the WALLY Team:
- Go online: Check to see if the fair has a website before you head out. This will also help ensure you won’t miss any of the activities you want to see (like the Wood Carvers!).
- Make getting there easy: Consider taking the bus to the fair rather than driving. You won’t have to deal with parking or traffic and in case you ate one too many corndogs, you can nap on the way home!
- Get oriented: Grab a map from the information booth and agree on a meeting place in case your group gets separated. It is also a smart idea that your group members know your cell phone number so you can be contacted immediately if you are separated.
- Hand sanitizer is your friend: We definitely suggest using your PEMCO spray hand sanitizer before digging into that cotton candy.
- Go hungry: Seriously, there are delicious choices waiting for you. We favor the curly fries, frozen bananas and shaved ice.
Even the WALLY Team couldn’t resist the decadent food choices at the Walla Walla Fair
- Be a social butterfly: Our absolute favorite part of the fair was talking to people at the WALLY Booth. We even learned how to use a Dutch oven and where the best Mexican restaurant in town was. You never know who you will meet at the fair!
Didn’t get a chance to make it to the Walla Walla Fair & Frontier Days? That’s okay; here are some upcoming Northwest fairs:
- Puyallup Fair - 9/7
- The Chelan County Fair - 9/6
- Spokane Interstate Fair - 9/7
- Central Washington State Fair - 9/21
See you again next year!