If you've received the last of your tax documents but haven't yet filed, here's a reason to stop procrastinating: The longer you go without filing, the more chance you give an identity thief to fraudulently claim your refund.How the scam works
Armed with stolen personal information like your Social Security number, an identity criminal uses a counterfeit W-2 form to file a fraudulent tax return in your name. They're hoping to beat you in claiming your refund. When you send your true tax return to the IRS, it will flag as suspicious. Instead of the cash back you're due, the IRS will send you a notice saying your return has already been processed!
Or, in another twist, a worker might get a job using your Social Security number. When their employer reports their income under your Social Security number, your return will get flagged for unreported wages.What to do
Watch for these clues that a crook may have tampered with your taxes:
- You get a notice from the IRS saying more than one return was filed under your Social Security number.
- You get a letter or refund for a return you didn't file.
- You're told you owe additional taxes for a year you didn't file a return.
- You get a notice that you were paid by an employer you don't know.
If you get a suspicious notification, call 1-800-GO-PEMCO to put your PEMCO ID Smart
™ benefits in motion. We'll connect you with an identity fraud management specialist who can walk you through the next steps to claim your rightful refund and shut down the thief. Those likely will include:
What is PEMCO ID Smart?
- Respond promptly to the IRS.
- Submit an Identity Theft Affidavit using IRS Form 14039.
- Place a fraud alert with at least one of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Trans Union or Equifax).
- Consider freezing your credit with each of the three credit bureaus.
- Continue monitoring your credit for as long as your PEMCO ID Smart specialist recommends. If a criminal has used your information once, they may try it again.
It's a value-added service that gives you unlimited one-on-one access to a fraud specialist who can help you with identity theft concerns, whether you've been a victim or simply suspect something might be wrong. You and family members living in your home get it automatically – there's no sign-up needed, no extra coverage to add.
To use your benefits, call 1-800-GO-PEMCO, and we'll connect you with Cyberscout®, the experts behind PEMCO ID Smart. Your personal advocate will stick with you to get to the bottom of your problem, guide you in next steps and help restore your good name.
PEMCO ID Smart is just one more way we help you live more and worry less.