Whether your style is sleek contemporary or comfy traditional, you want to know that the home you buy will be an oasis from stress – not the cause of it!
See how these Big Five Potential Trouble Spots – roofs, foundations, wiring, pipes and heating equipment – can tip you off that a home you're considering may be a money pit.
Other areas to watch:
- Soil stability. Is the house on or near a slope? Bare dirt, leaning trees or cracks on slopes may signal erosion and sliding.
- Drainage. Warning signs include water in crawl spaces or in basements. Excess water can contribute to soil instability and mold.
- Mold. Check around showers and toilets for mold stains and wall discoloration. Also, crumbling tile and grout can lead to rot behind walls and under floors.
- Pools. Unfenced pools and hot tubs are a liability hazard and affect eligibility for insurance.
- Landscaping. Shoddy yard repair can indicate other home maintenance has been let go, too.
Share on social media