Online shoppers, it's not too early to take steps now to deter porch pirates from stealing your holiday gift deliveries.
Doorstep theft has jumped dramatically in recent years. Thieves stalk delivery trucks and snatch packages off porches in broad daylight, doing it so quickly that no one's the wiser until the online shopper wonders, "Where's my delivery?"
In time for some of the busiest delivery days of the year, PEMCO offers a few steps consumers can take to keep porch pirates at bay:
- Instruct shippers to deliver packages to a specific location hidden from plain sight. For example, "inside the carport" or "behind the planter box."
- Require a signature before packages can be left. Just realize that if you're not there to sign, you'll need to work with the shipping company to reschedule delivery.
- Install a lockbox on your front porch or use other technology-enabled security devices to keep your packages safe until you get home.
- Ship your order to a trusted neighbor who you know will be home during delivery hours.
- Or, if your employer permits it, use your work address rather than your home address for deliveries.