September is National Preparedness Month, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has put together some great resources for the entire family as part of its 2021 "Prepare to Protect" campaign to ensure you're ready no matter what Mother Nature throws in your path.
These are also five smart places to start:
- Download the FEMA app for real-time weather alerts and help in locating shelters during an emergency.
- Assemble an emergency kit for your home and car. Supplies you've already stockpiled for COVID can give you a head start.
- Locate and safeguard important documents, and make sure computer files are backed up.
- Learn life-saving skills like CPR and using a fire extinguisher.
- Make kids part of the planning. While these tips are focused on wildfire, they're good for empowering (rather than scaring) your children when it comes to feeling ready to handle any kind of emergency.
As Defenders of Your Northwest, PEMCO stands with you as we embrace the challenges we share as neighbors in Washington and Oregon. You're welcome to call your local PEMCO agent or 1-800-GO-PEMCO any time for a peace-of-mind insurance checkup.
If you haven't yet set up your pemco.com account, do it now. In an emergency, you'll be able to manage your insurance policies from your smartphone.