Your boat is your way to get away from it all. So don't let a thief get away with it all! If you store your boat and trailer outside, these seven tips can help ensure a thief won't sink your weekend plans:
- Chain the trailer to a fixed object and secure it with a padlock.
- Park in the backyard or behind the garage, so it's not handy to the street.
- Turn the hitch toward the house so the trailer must be turned around before it can be towed.
- Block access to the trailer with a car.
- Padlock outboard motors to the boat (remove and store them in the garage during winter).
- Don't store fishing gear, water skis and other possessions on the boat.
- Install an automatic outdoor light over the boat.