Boater Education

Boaters born after
Jan. 1, 1955, need a
Boater Education Card

Effective this year, all Washington boaters born after Jan. 1, 1955, must carry a Washington State Boater Education Card anytime they operate a powered watercraft of 15 horsepower or more. (Oregon has had a similar law since 2001.)

The state has been gradually phasing in card requirements. Once earned, the card doesn’t expire and doesn’t need to be renewed.

Boaters can qualify for their cards by completing a free home-study Boat Washington Course and written exam online. After passing your exam, you’ll get a certificate of completion to mail to the state (along with your application & CHECK or MONEY ORDER for $10.) for your Washington State Boater Education Card.

Don’t put it off. Without a card, boaters could be fined.