Tips to prevent campus car prowls
Whether you're a full-time student this fall or just swinging by campus to pick up a night class, remember that student parking lots aren't immune from break-ins â€“ despite those reassuring security patrols that occasionally roll through.
Campus security experts remind students to:
- Always lock your car.
- Park in well-lighted areas whenever possible.
- Take all valuables with you or, while unobserved, lock them in the trunk before you arrive on campus.
- Never leave backpacks in your car. Thieves know they often contain laptops, cell phones, drivers' licenses, MP3 players, and wallets, making them a favorite smash-and-grab target.
- Keep textbooks out of sight. They're pricey and an easy item for thieves to sell.
And once you're on foot around campus â€¦
- Never leave your backpack unattended or slung over a chair. It takes just moments for a thief to slide it on (looking just like a student) and stroll away. Instead, set it on the floor and put your chair leg or your foot through the strap.