Take this test: Choose a dresser drawer and, without opening it, try to write down everything inside. Then open the drawer. Surprised at how much you missed? Imagine having to do that for a whole houseful of belongings after a devastating fire.
A video inventory can lift that burden if you ever need to file an insurance claim.
Here’s how to make an inventory:
- Start your video by introducing yourself. Give the date, your name, address, a brief history of your home, when you bought it, and any renovations.
- Pick a room and, starting at the doorway, pan to show furnishings and finishes.
- Zoom in on individual items, naming and describing each briefly (brand; age; features; price, if known). Capture serial numbers, if possible.
- Open every drawer and closet, showing their contents.
- Repeat for every room, including the garage, and store your inventory AWAY from home (in a safe deposit box or at work).
- Update your record periodically to include new purchases and improvements.