High winds will slam Western Washington between 5 p.m. Sunday and 4 a.m. Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
PEMCO stands ready to handle customer claims and answer calls. Also, know that you can take steps now to prevent or limit damage:
- Use common sense – stay out of harm’s way.
- Never touch a downed power line or anything near it. Always assume it's energized. Never try to retrieve anything caught in a power line or from a tree near a power line.
- Replace batteries in flashlights and portable radios.
- Secure awnings, canopies (including truck canopies), garbage cans, barbecues, and other items that could blow away.
- If you rely on a well (and an electric pump) for your water, store some water beforehand in gallon containers.
- Don’t rely on cordless phones, which don’t work when there’s no power.
- Unplug TVs, stereos, computers, and appliances to prevent surges when power is restored.
- If you lose power, do not use a camp stove, barbecue, or gas lantern in the house. Use them outdoors only. Otherwise, there’s a serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Never use a generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your house because of carbon monoxide danger.
- Be extremely cautious when using candles, which are a leading cause of fires even under normal circumstances. Burn candles only in noncombustible containers, and never leave them unattended.
- Be cautious at intersections, where traffic lights might lose power.
Here's the storm warning that appears in The Seattle Times.