You might have known that China, not the U.S., manufactures the vast majority of fireworks shot off by Americans.
But did you know that China also makes most of our Stars and Stripes?
The Tacoma News Tribune’s C.R. Roberts did some digging around and uncovered these fun facts related to Independence Day.
- America’s population was a mere 2.5 million in July 1776. Today it’s 318.4 million.
- Ben Franklin, 70, was the oldest signer of the Declaration of Independence. Edward Rutledge, 26, was the youngest.
- We imported $203.6 million in fireworks from China in 2013, while the U.S. exported $10.2 million.
- We imported U.S. flags valued at $4 million in 2013, most coming from China, while we exported Old Glories valued at $781,222.
- 60.2% of Americans own a U.S. flag.
- The National Retail Federation estimates Americans will spend $6.285 billion on barbecues, picnics, and other food on July 4.