Get the latest on graduated licensing laws
SUMMARY (law effective 7-1-2001)
To get an intermediate license, you must:
- Be 16.
- Have possessed a learner’s permit for six months.
- Have passed a driver’s education course.
- Have driven at least 50 hours (10 at night) while supervised by a driver 21+ years old.
- Have passed a driver’s test.
- Have no traffic violations within the past six months before applying for an intermediate license.
- Have no alcohol or drug offenses during the learner’s permit period.
After getting an intermediate license:
- First six months – no passengers under age 20, except immediate family.
- After six months – up to three passengers under 20 who are not members of immediate family.
- May not drive between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless with parent, guardian, or licensed driver over 25.
Restrictions end if:
- You go 12 months with no accidents and no moving violations; or
- You turn 18.